Monday, April 23, 2012

Turkey Day!!

I hit the woods early this morning and the gobblers were already sounding off as I put my boots on at my truck. I walked into the woods in the direction of some gobbling and set up to do some calling. After I sat for about ten minutes I used my turkey call and got  an immediate reply from old Mr. Tom. I sat still for a while and then called again. Again, I got an immediate answer and a bit closer this time. I sat again and pretty soon saw a turkey off in the distance walking my way. I sat and watched and pretty soon there were three walking towards me. I sat and waited and could see that these were Jakes (young one year old tom turkeys). I called once more quietly and they gobbled and walked my way. I decided to hold off shooting as these were young birds and the morning was young. The three walked past me at about fifteen feet and gobbled and stared at me but did not spook. They kept going and I layed quietly and let them go.

After about twenty minutes I called again and the three that walked past me called back and again came my way. I watched and they walked by me again and went back towards where I saw them come from the first time. They walked off about a hundred yards and stopped to gobble and strut. All three were quite worked up and every time they heard a noise would let out a gobble! I thought about all of the years I went without a turkey and decide that I would take one of these three if they would come back. I called once more and they answered right away. I called again and her they come!
This was the quickest turkey hunt I ever had. I was home by eight o'clock and Nancy asked what was wrong.

Now all is left is a good turkey dinner! I finally found some turkeys that read the same magazines I do and know how to behave when being hunted!!

No comments:

Post a Comment