January 5
We drove from Weatherford to Odessa
Sand Hill State Park and set up our first camp of the winter. It gave
us a chance to get things organized and open up the camper. The park
has sand dunes reminiscent of White Sands New Mexico, but these dunes
are the color of Lake Michigan sand. Plenty of beach but no water.
Before we left Wheeler Road Mike's kids were sledding on the Sleeping
Bear dunes on the snow. Here kids were sledding with saucers on the
bare sand.
The drive here from the Fort Worth area
was through oil fields, cotton fields, and wind farms. We saw
hundreds of wind turbines on both sides of the highway for miles and
miles. We saw several long trains stacked two high with shipping
containers and pulled by four locomotives. Lots of freight moving to
and from the west coast through the desert. The cotton was being
harvested in some areas and there were huge wrapped bales on the
ground. Other unpicked cotton fields were white and looked like snow.
We came into Northeast Texas on I-30
then changed to I-20 in Fort Worth. We change to I-10 before we get
to El Paso on Saturday. (The stadium I thought was part of Baylor College was actually Rockwell High School. It was near a Baylor Medical facility.
Harvesting the cotton. They sure don't do this by hand any more.
Acres and acres of cotton fields.
Bales of cotton, wind turbines and oil fields.
And again.
No comments:
Post a Comment