I have been dreading building the fireplace here since I have never done stonework before. I was worried that I would do a poor job and regret it later on. The masons charged us a small fortune to put the stone up on the exterior of the house and I didn't want to spend the big bucks to have them do the interior. I was thinking of a project Tom could help us with and the stonework seemed to fit the bill perfectly. I thought he would enjoy doing it since he has always had an artistic flair. So last week I bought the materials and prepped the fireplace for the stone work.
Tom made a template of the fireplace and laid out the stones on Saturday morning. I worked on baseboard in the upstairs bathrooms and after lunch we started. We put stone up until ten o'clock Saturday evening, but following Tom's pattern and ideas we got the thing put together. We were amazed how well it looked! This morning we grouted the joints between the stones and smoothed the mortar after it had a chance to set up. I am so thrilled with how well it turned out! I don't think it could have gone any better. Tom's ideas helped to balance the stones from side to side and the final result is a joy to behold. I wish all of our projects turned out this well!
This is the fireplace opening on Friday morning.
I added a layer of plywood on the facing then a layer of cement board. To build up the hearth a layer of cement board then a row of blocks and another layer of cement board.
It's now ready for finishing.
Tom made a template then selected and laid out stones to create a pattern that would fit.
After all the stones were cemented up things were looking good!
Sunday morning we grouted the joints and cleaned them up.
This is some tile work from the past week. One last bathroom to do this week!
My buddy Evey getting ready to play in the snow!
No comments:
Post a Comment